Retirement Fund Conversions

Retirement Fund Conversions

Investing in an IRA or 401(k) or other tax-deferred plans means you get years of tax deferred growth. However, you will have to start taking money out and give IRS its cut when you turn 70 1/2. If you fail to make these minimum distributions, there is a HUGE 50% penalty of the amount that you should have withdrawn. Ouch!

Generally, your plan administrator will help ensure that you take out the required amounts. You will usually have to take out the required amounts by December 31 of the year that you reach age 70.5, but you do have until April 1 of the year after you reach 70.5 to be precise. However, delaying your withdrawal means that you will have to make two required minimum distributions that year, which could put you in a higher tax bracket.

Another option would be to convert your IRAs and 401Ks to Roth IRAs. Yes, you would be taxed on the conversion, but all funds can stay in the Roth for as long as you wish tax free.

Please keep all this in mind if you are turning age 70 1/2, and see a good financial professional about this.

All content on this site is the property of Taxbot, LLC and/or the author. You may link to any article that you wish, or share via the social media buttons below. However, please do not copy articles or images for use on other sites without express written permission.

Was this post helpful?
Let us know, if you liked this post.
Powered by Pixelbart