The Wrong Form?

The Wrong Form?

Since we are getting to the tax filing deadline soon, I thought I would cover a major issue that has frequently been brought up: a wrong W-2 or 1099?

Have you received a W-2 or IRS Form 1099 with an error? You should always check these forms carefully to see if there is an error. If you discover a mistake, contact the payer promptly to obtain a revised form. Also, the payer may issue a corrected form on their own. Don’t ignore the change on the IRS Form 1040 that you file with the IRS. The IRS computers match up the W-2s and 1099s and could produce an unexpected tax bill.

So what happens if the payer doesn’t issue a revised Form W-2 or 1099 upon your request? Here is what most savvy tax professionals recommend:

Include the amount of income (even if wrong) that is found on the faulty W-2 or 1099 on your IRS Form 1040. Take a deduction on the IRS Form 1040 for any excess amount of income that was reported in error so that the net amount shown will be correct. Finally, and most importantly, attach a statement showing what the correct income should have been what adjustments you are making showing the reason for the adjustment. You can attach any statement to your tax return explaining potential problems. This should help explain the issue and should also result in avoiding an audit on the issue.

All content on this site is the property of Taxbot, LLC and/or the author. You may link to any article that you wish, or share via the social media buttons below. However, please do not copy articles or images for use on other sites without express written permission.

Was this post helpful?
Let us know, if you liked this post.
Powered by Pixelbart