News You Can Use

News You Can Use

Here are some useful tips:

1. What do you do if you lost records in a hurricane or flood or other disaster?

  1. run around like a chicken with its head cut off,
  2. cry like hell and go into hiding,
  3. read the rest of this post

Hopefully you answered (c). You can use the free Get Transcript tool at Alternatively, you can request a transcript of a prior filed tax return by calling 800-908-9946. or submit IRS Form 4506-T by mail to the IRS. If you want an actual copy of your tax return, you must use IRS Form 4506. To expedite processing and to waive any fees, hurricane or storm victims can write on the top of the form the disaster they were affected by.

2. Placing a credit freeze on your credit is really a good idea for almost everyone especially retirees. This prevents your information from being garners by crooks. In some states, freezes are free for seniors, but in other states, credit bureaus can charge as much as $10. To fully protect yourself, you must contact each of the three major credit bureaus ( Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion). You will receive a pin ,which you MUST supply any time you want to lift the freeze. In most states, the freeze will remain in place unless you ask to lift the removal.

3. Removing Robocalls. Yes, these are VERY annoying. I get at least one or two each days. They are even starting to contact me though my cell phone. However, for advice on how to clamp down on robocallers, go to These tips include guidance on how to add numbers to the “Do Not Call List,” how and where to report illegal robocalls, available call blocking solutions and much more.

All content on this site is the property of Taxbot, LLC and/or Sandy Botkin. You may link to any article that you wish, or share via the social media buttons below. However, please do not copy articles or images for use on other sites without express written permission.

Was this post helpful?
Let us know, if you liked this post.
Powered by Pixelbart

Sandy Botkin