15 49.0138 8.38624 1 4000 1 https://taxbot.com/blog 300 true 0

Has Your Landlord Treated You Unfairly? Here’s How You Can Get Financial Compensation


Issues between landlords and tenants can be extremely thorny when they occur. Both parties have options for recourse depending on the situation and who was at fault. Your landlord might have treated you unfairly in a number of different ways, and you may be entitled to financial compensation.

Be Certain the Issue Is the Landlord’s Fault

If something has gone wrong, the first thing you should do is check your lease and read it carefully. Leases are legally binding documents which is why it’s so important to read and understand them thoroughly before signing. For instance, you might actually be responsible for neglected maintenance that led to damage. If this is the case, you might not have much recourse and simply need to deal with the fallout. If there are illegal aspects of the lease, however, you can challenge it in court.

Talk to the Landlord First

It is always best to try and work out an issue by yourselves first. For example, you might feel your landlord has treated you unfairly by penalizing you for breaking the lease. Talk to your landlord to express your concerns and your feelings of being treated unfairly. You may be able to reach a compromise which you both find agreeable where you can get some or even all of your money back.

Document All Evidence

If you feel you have been treated unfairly or even criminally, be sure to gather as much evidence as you can. It is always smart to take photos of a rental before move-in, so you have evidence of any damage that occurred before you took residence. Take photo, video or even audio recording evidence of the offense if legal. Keep copies of documents.

Go to Court

If you have truly been treated unfairly by your landlord, the surest way to be provided financial compensation is by working with a qualified attorney. Your landlord might have wronged you in a number of illegal ways, so depending on what happened you may need a lawyer working in a specific specialization. You will need a lawyer specializing in discrimination if you were discriminated against for being a protected class or a civil litigation lawyer to handle a personal injury case.

No one wants to be in a situation where they are treated poorly by a landlord, especially if they suffer a financial loss as a result of the incident. Knowing your rights and taking prudent action will help you get any compensation that might be due to you. You will likely see best results by working with professionals.

Lizzie Weakley is a freelance writer from Columbus, Ohio. In her free time, she enjoys the outdoors and walks in the park with her three-year-old husky, Snowball.

All content on this site is the property of Taxbot, LLC, The Profit Junkie Podcast, or the author. You may link to any article that you wish, or share via the social media buttons below. However, please do not copy articles or images for use on other sites without express written permission.

Previous Post
IRS Extends the 2020 Tax Filing Deadline
Next Post
How to Save Money With Your Home Plumbing
%d bloggers like this: